The Medical Schemes Act cites its purpose as
- To consolidate the laws relating to registered medical schemes;
- to provide for the establishment of the Council for Medical Schemes as a juristic person;
- to provide for the appointment of the Registrar of Medical Schemes;
- to make provision for the registration and control of certain activities of medical schemes;
- to protect the interests of members of medical schemes;
- to provide for measures for the coordination of medical schemes;
- and to provide for incidental matters.
The full Act can be viewed here.